The Kobo Aura HD!
Several months ago I was approached by the fabulous people at KOBO to try out one of their new e-readers before it was released. I never thought I would be on the eReader bandwagon because I love a physical copy of a book, but I find that I also love the convenience and ease of having all those titles at my fingertips!
Now, I’m quite familiar with eReaders. I own both a Kindle (old school keyboard style) and a Nook (touch). I use my Kindle all the time and I love it. I actually didn’t think anything would top it… until I got the KOBO. (I did get the KOBO for free for the promise of an honest product review. The fact that I got it for free did not sway how I feel about it at all. Actually I think I’ve gotten all my eReaders for free, so there’s that.)
- the ClarityScreen. I was perfectly fine reading my Kindle until I started reading on the Aura and noticed how freaking nice and clear the screen is. I’m not usually one to notice that kind of thing, but it’s so much nicer it’s hard not to appreciate that.
- easy to read PDFs. THANK YOU! The nice thing about the Aura HD is the ease in reading of PDFs. Now I can read PDFs on my other eReaders but they are so small on my screen and I know you can change the file format but it seems like every time I do, the formatting turns out crazy pants and I can’t even read the book. The Aura HD lets you zoom to a comfy reading level no switching formats required. As a blogger that reads a lot of eGalleys this has been incredibly handy!
- AWARDS! These don’t really have anything to do with the quality of the eReader, but they are so fun! There’s different ways you can earn the awards. For instance I have the “Once Upon a Time” award for starting a new book, or the “Night Rider” award for reading all night long. (Compliments of being a new mom with that one!)
- Reading Stats. You can get individual stats for the current book you are reading or for your entire library. Again not something to do with the quality of the product but still fun!
- reading light. I think this might be my FAVORITE feature because I read a lot at night or in dim light and this thing has become my best friend. I have the case for my Kindle with the light and that thing is so bright that it shines right in the hubs eyes while he is trying to sleep and he is not a fan. The reading light in the Aura is a front light so it’s just right and doesn’t have the eyestrain from a backlight screen!
- great battery life. I’ve only had to charge it a few times and I read with it all the time!
- buying from my local indie! I like cheap books at much as the next person, so yes, I shop at Amazon and yes when there is a Kindle eBook deal I snatch them up like hotcakes. But I also like to support my local indie and you can do that with the Kobo ebook store!
- social media integration. You can connect to Facebook, but not twitter. I don’t use Facebook in that way. Facebook is pretty much a way for me to keep in touch with my family since they don’t live close. I don’t want to spam them with book quotes and what I’m reading. And honestly they probably don’t care. But my Twitter account is mostly about my bookish things, so it would be great to have direct access to that account. Share my awards, what I’m reading, what page I’m on…. etc. That’s something my Twitter readers might be interested in.
- screen freeze. I’ve only had this happen a few times, and it might just have been a fluke but the screen has frozen on me.
- not enough case options. this doesn’t really have to do with the eReader itself and it’s probably because it’s so new, but I need a case for this thing! There are a few options, but they aren’t very pretty. I would love a case that covers and protects the front and the back but doesn’t totally enclose it in a pouch… and comes in pretty colors or designs.
Overall, I am a fan. I hope to be using this eReader for years to come!